Welcome to SoHuman

Herein you will find my own personal journal, of sorts, with topics ranging from my children and parenting techniques, my personal story, faith, home life, friends and family stories, and so on. I welcome your comments, questions, suggestions and connections.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My children and I have decided to follow a Catholic tradition by observing Lent this year. Briefly, I will say I have given up eating out (which, sadly, is actually quite a sacrifice for me), Lilly has given up using the computer for entertainment purposes, Kate has given up whining, grumping, fighting and saying 'no', Sam has given up french fries, Sophie has given up spasketti from Ari's, and I think Molly has given up fish sandwiches from McDonald's.

You may notice a theme centered around my habit of frequent eating out. And yes, we consider MickeyD's eating out. It's been nearly a week, and I am proud to report I have not eaten out yet, and even the kids who haven't officially given it up (read that: Lilly and Kate), politely decline the opportunity to buy a snack or meal while out and about. I have extended my intent to include purchasing prepared meals, so I've been making lunch everyday for the kids, too. This morning, Sophie and I have a doctor's appointment, and I will be packing a lunch for that.

If you are the type to take your lunch with you to work everyday, or cook supper every night, you may think this is no big whoop. Suffice to say my kids think I have lost my mind. And I guess that's what Lent is all about after all... learning to live without something you really thought you needed in the first place.

1 comment:

  1. i was wondering if you want fries with that order?...

    good for you on the fasting/observing lent thing. i'm just glad that blogging didn't make that cut. :)

    and i guess, now we can't meet up at OG for about another month or so... :(

    i stand amazed,
    crx queen

    ReplyDelete